Friday, December 16, 2005

Practice away from the Instrument

Okay, I don't perform with anywhere near the frequency I used to. But the musical mind never stops! :) I'll hear an intersting bit on the radio and visualize myself playing the part on the keyboard or guitar...or drums. (Ok it's usually a melody that hooks me) Sometimes I'll develop the musical phrase, basline, drumfill, whatever into something different, mentally improvising on a theme, somtimes hearing whole new arrangements. It's not work like practice is. Frankly I suck at practicing the rudiments of an instrument, but I love to jam and figure things out. So it is with my mental practice. It's a type of daydreaming about playing that absorbs my attention. Lets just say I don't mind driving long distances.

With all this practice away from the instrument, I am still surprised when after a hiatus I sit down to play and new ideas and even skills come pouring out. When did I learn to do this?! This is coupled with the remembering ..."Hey! I forgot I could play the keyboard...this is cool!"

Of course I would be more of journeyman musician if I played everyday still, but its nice to know that as I mature as a musician I can't help but improve. It's ingrained in my way of thinking. It's impossible for me to not learn from listening or thinking about music.

Life is good!

No comments: